How to Knit the Simple Garter Stitch Slippers - A Virtual Workshop - December 8th
A Virtual Workshop with Amy Odin, Knit Chats
Wednesday, Dec 8th from 11:00am to 12:30 pm
Looking for a perfect last minute gift? These slippers are it! They mold to your feet like socks and are super comfortable. Because there are a few different (easy to learn) techniques involved, it’s an immediate gratification knit that will hold your interest. Join me, Amy Odin, Knitchats coach, teacher and designer as I teach you the techniques to knit this clever design. The project is worked flat in garter stitch, then shaped at the toe using simple decreases. A 3-needle bind off is used to close the toe and the heel is seamed with a decorative whip stitch. To finish, the top is joined by working crochet slip stitches which transition into single crochet stitches that outline the ankle. New to crochet? No big deal. All you need to know is how to work a chain stitch and I’ll teach you the rest. See the pre-work section below to find a link to a three minute instructional video for review and practice before class. The pattern is written for one size, but I’ll show you how to easily customize for any. You will knit the body of one slipper prior to class, then we’ll begin by working the toe decreases. Once you make a pair of these awesome slippers, you won’t want to stop at just one!
Advanced beginner - Must know how to cast on, knit, purl and crochet a chain stitch (See pre-work below for an instructional video).
* US 4 (3.5mm) circular or set of straight knitting needles, or size to get gauge. (See pattern)
* Extra US 4 (3.5 mm) DPN, straight or circular for the 3-needle bind off
* Simple Garter Stitch Slippers Kit (kit includes pattern) or fingering weight sock yarn (approximately 320 yards to be held double). Or as the yarns are held together, they can be replaced with a single strand of worsted weight yarn (approx 160 yds).
* Contrasting color yarn (fingering weight held double or worsted weight) for top seam and cuff edge. * Size E (3.5 mm) crochet hook
* Tapestry needle to weave in ends
* Copy of the pattern (Simple Garter Stitch Slippers by Hanna Levaniemi - free on Ravelry)
* Work a gauge swatch to determine needle size.
* If brand new to crochet, watch the crochet chain stitch video and practice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Il8OcNAZA
* Cast on 40 sts per the pattern (average woman’s size in width). For more narrow feet, cast on 38. For wide feet, cast on 42. (As long as you cast-on in multiples of two, the pattern will work.) Knit in garter stitch (7-8.5 inches) until gently stretched, the piece reaches from the heel to the tip of your little toe. STOP HERE and keep your work on the needles.