Introduction to Stranded / Fair Isle Knitting - A Virtual Class - January 28th and February 4th
A two-part Virtual Workshop with Amy Odin, Knit Chats
Fridays, January 28th and February 4th from 11:00am to Noon
Have you wanted to master Stranded / Fair Isle Knitting? This is the introduction that will set you on your way! In this two-session class, you will Knit the Flor Vieja Cowl by Leslie Roth, which features a simple yet beautiful repeating design that will give you a basic understanding of the technique. For the first session, you will knit along with teacher, designer and KnitChats Coach Amy Odin as she demonstrates how to manage and knit two colors of yarn across one row. She will focus on the method of holding one color in each hand but will discuss other options. She will also teach you how to read a simple colorwork chart that accompanies the pattern. For the second session, Amy will give you detailed instructions and demonstrations for catching your floats for both main and contrasting colors, along with a few tips to correct errors.
Skills required: Must know how to cast on, join in the round, and knit.
- Free pattern – Flor Vieja Cowl by Leslie Roth (download from Ravelry)
- 400 yards total worsted weight yarn (200 for color A, 200 for color B)
- Size 5 US (24” circular needle)
- Size 7 US (24” circular needle) or size needed to get gauge (5 sts – 1 inch)
- 1 stitch marker
- With color A, and smaller needles, cast on 128 sts.
- Place marker and join in the round.
- Work 8 rounds of 2x2 rib (k2, p2, k2, p2…).
- Change to larger needles and knit one round
Full payment is needed to reserve your space. For a refund on the class, cancellations must be made 5 days prior to the class. All refunds are given as store credit only. If we cancel the class for any reason, you will receive a full refund. Please note any supplies or homework are listed under the class description. No Monarch Rewards Points can be used towards the payment of a class.
We suggest that you have a good internet connection so the class video does not buffer. Zoom suggests you have at least 2 MPBS upload and download speed from your internet service provider.