Trekant Cowl Class: Intarsia in the Round - A Virtual Workshop - May 26th, June 2nd and 9th
Thursdays, May 26th and June 2nd from 11:00am to noon
and June 9th from 11:00am to 12:30
Broaden your knitting horizons and learn how to knit intarsia in the round! Intarsia is a colorwork technique that involves knitting with blocks of color in any shape or design you like, but the key is that you are only ever working with one color at a time. It is widely thought that intarsia can only be knitted flat. However, this is not the case and I am looking forward to showing you how to work this technique!
Skill level: This class is for the intermediate knitter who desires to expand upon one’s own knitting skills.
- Purchased pattern (included in our available kits) Trekant Cowl by Jean-Philippe Cliche
- worsted weight yarn (4 balls, each 50g minimum) in coordinating colors (see pattern for suggested yarn)
- US 7/4.5mm, 24-inch circular needles (or as appropriate for gauge)
- Beginning of round marker and locking stitch markers
- Waste yarn of equal or slightly lighter weight than suggested yarn (A smooth yarn such as silk or superwash merino is recommended so it isn’t abrasive upon removal.) , lifeline yarn or thread (undyed and smooth texture highly recommended)
- (Optional) Students are encouraged to work on a sample size in class using leftover worsted weight scraps, please cast on 48 sts following the pattern and class syllabus. Stitch counts will be provided for the samples. When you are comfortable with the knitting of your sample, feel free to switch to your project.
- Please read though the pattern and class syllabus which will be provided to you.
- Come to class having decided on color placement (CC1, CC2, CC3, CC4) and split CC4 into two, 25g balls.
- Cast on (supporting video will be provided) and knit the first 20 rows of the “Lower Border” section. We will fold and join the hem in our first session.
What you will learn:
Session 1: We will discuss an overview of the pattern briefly, knit the folded hem together, and jump into intarsia in the round using two colors. Manage color changes and a shifting beginning-of-round with increases and decreases.
Session 2: We will have up to 15 minutes of Q&A before moving onto Part 2. We will then focus on doing intarsia with four balls in a single round.
Session 3: We will have up to 30 minutes of Q&A before moving forward. I will demonstrate how to join the hems while also binding off. I will show how to close up any gaps, hide tails, and weave in ends.
There will be homework available after sessions 1 and 2. (Necessary supporting videos will be provided.)
Full payment is needed to reserve your space. For a refund on the class, cancellations must be made 5 days prior to the class. All refunds are given as store credit only. If we cancel the class for any reason, you will receive a full refund. Please note any supplies or homework are listed under the class description. No Monarch Rewards Points can be used towards the payment of a class.